Thylacine Sightings

Thylacines are large, doglike marsupial on the Australian mainland sometime between 1000 B.C. and 1788 . They disappeared largely due to competition with dingos, which were introduced some 8,000 years ago. A thriving population persisted in Tasmania until sheep farming was introduced in 1824 and the animal was deemed a pest and vigorously exterminated. The last known Thylacine died in the Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart, Tasmania, on September 7, 1936. However, new Thylacine reports of sightings surfaced since 1940’s until 1990’s, and many scientists think it’s only a matter of time before a living specimen is obtained.

The Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus, Greek for "dog-headed pouched one") was the largest known carnivorous marsupial of modern times. It is commonly known as the Tasmanian tiger (because of its striped back), the Tasmanian wolf, and colloquially the Tassie tiger or simply the tiger. Native to continental Australia, Tasmania and New Guinea, it is thought to have become extinct in the 20th century. It was the last extant member of its family, Thylacinidae, although several related species have been found in the fossil record dating back to the early Miocene.

Physical description:
Shoulder height, 2 feet. Length, about 3 feet 6 inches–4 feet 6 inches. Weight, 65–75 pounds. Head large in proportion to the body. The face is gray, with white markings around the eyes. Ears, short and rounded. Its huge jaws open to an angle of nearly 90 degrees. Has thirteen to nineteen vertical, brown-black stripes on its back, rump, and tail. Yellow-brown to grayishbrown in color. A few reports, particularly from Western Australia, refer to animals that either lack stripes or are all black. Short legs. Tail is stiff and 2 feet long, and it tapers to a point. Behavior: Nocturnal but has been seen to bask in the sun. Quiet and secretive. Its usual gait is a graceful lope. Some witnesses claim it is capable of rearing on its hind legs and hopping like a kangaroo when threatened. Usually mute but produces a terrier-like double yap when hunting, a deep growl when irritated, and a whine. Feeds on wallabies, small animals, and birds. It was thought to kill livestock, but this was never substantiated.

The greatest concentration of Thylacine reports are in the northeast of the island, near Mount William and Mount Barrow. On the mainland, favored areas are the Darling Range in southwest Western Australia, South Australia from Murray Bridge to Mount Gambier, and southeastern Victoria from Lang Lang to Lake Victoria. Southeastern South Australia produced a flood of reports in 1967 and 1968, most of them confirming to the animal’s description and behavior.On mainland Australia—Tony Healy and Paul Cropper estimate there have been about 500 thylacine sightings on the mainland prior to 1994.

Sightings :
Bushmen B. Thorpe and A. Woolley watched a Thylacine chase a wallaby near the Denison River in southwest Tasmania in December 1947. The gray, striped animal passed within 20 yards of them.

A striped creature has often been reported in the area around Wonthaggi, southern Victoria. The name “Wonthaggi monster” was invented in 1955 by local journalists when an unusual number of sheep were killed by an unknown predator and people began seeing a Thylacinelike animal.

In January 1958, tracks of Thylacine were found in mud between Point Davey and Muydena.

Photograph taken by Rilla Martin near Goroke, Victoria, in 1964, of what may be a surviving THYLACINE on the Australian mainland.

A photograph taken by Rilla Martin near Goroke, Victoria, in 1964 shows a striped animal partially hidden by vegetation. The stripes seem to cover its neck and shoulders, which is uncharacteristic, but in general, it looks much like a Thylacine. Western Australia south of Perth has also been a focal point for Thylacine reports. In this area, the animals are said to be responsible for killing sheep and kangaroos by tearing their heads off.

A striped, doglike animal, possibly a Thylacine, was reported in the early 1970s in the forested Nannup District. One incident in November 1972 involved Freda and Joe Carmody, who saw a large creature leap across the road in front of their car; they were convinced it was a Thylacine.

Barbara Adams and her four children watched two Thylacine pups at play near Frances on November 1, 1974; they were about a foot high and sandy-colored, with dark markings on the flanks. Numerous sightings also occurred to the southeast on Cape Nelson, Victoria, in the early 1970s.

One of the best sightings took place near the headwaters of the Salmon River in the early morning of March 9, 1982, when naturalist Hans Naarding watched an adult Thylacine for three minutes in the pouring rain from the back of his Landcruiser. The animal ran off when he moved for his camera. He could find no tracks, but the animal left a strong, musky scent behind.

On January 13, 1984, Kevin Cameron snapped six photos of a Thylacine sitting on a log about 30 feet away from him somewhere near Yoongarillup; unfortunately, significant inconsistencies were found in his testimony, and frames were shown to be missing from the film.

In 1986, Turk Porteous saw a blue-gray female Thylacine with sixteen well-defined stripes at Arthur River in northwestern Tasmania. He followed its tracks and found the prints of two juveniles. As a boy in the 1920s, he had often seen Thylacine tracks.

Rose Bristow watched a striped, doglike animal at a range of only 30 feet near Woolmai in March 1987.

In the spring of 1995, dentist Lance Mesh and his daughter saw an apparent Thylacine while driving along the southern slopes of the Buderim rain forest in Queensland. At least fifteen sightings were reported in the state in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Several organized searches for the animal have been undertaken in Tasmania—most notably by David Fleay in 1945, Eric Guiler in 1959 and 1963, Jeremy Griffith in 1968, Steven Smith in 1980, and Nick Mooney in 1982—but all apparently failed to find conclusive evidence of its continued existence.

In 1983, Ted Turner offered a $100,000 reward for proof of the continued existence of the thylacine. However, a letter sent in response to an inquiry by a thylacine-searcher, Murray McAllister, in 2000 indicated that the reward had been withdrawn. In March 2005, Australian news magazine The Bulletin, as part of its 125th anniversary celebrations, offered a $1.25 million reward for the safe capture of a live thylacine. When the offer closed at the end of June 2005 no one had produced any evidence of the animal's existence. An offer of $1.75 million has subsequently been offered by a Tasmanian tour operator, Stewart Malcolm. Trapping is illegal under the terms of the thylacine's protection, so any reward made for its capture is invalid, since a trapping licence would not be issued.

The Australian Museum has a small Thylacine pup preserved in alcohol since 1866. In May 2000, the museum announced it had extracted DNA from the specimen and, opening a debate on whether the animal should be cloned, speculated that with genetic technology advancing rapidly, the Thylacine could be resurrected within ten years.

Sources :
Mysterious Creatures : A Guide to Cryptozoology by George M. Eberhart;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine

Pic Sources :
Mysterious Creatures : A Guide to Cryptozoology by George M. Eberhart page 548 & 549
03:42 | 0 komentar

Peterborough Mysterious Petroglyph

During the summer of 1924, Charles Kingam, a Peterborough Historical Society member, was hiking through the beautifully wooded lands along the southern edge of the Canadian Shield, about 35 miles northeast of Peterborough, in Ontario, when he unexpectedly came upon a huge out-cropping of brilliant white stone that was alive with hundreds of fantastic illustrations. There were representations of snakes, birds, boats and human shapes interspersed with geometric designs and inscrutable figures. Around 900 examples adorn the rock face. They were carved on a stone surface ground smooth and flat by glaciers over 12,000 years ago. But the great stone languished in obscurity for the next thirty years, until it was accidentally rediscovered by a trio of geologists. This time appreciation was intense.

As an interim protective measure, fences were erected around the site while the vicinity was established as a provincial park and a specially designed building was constructed over the main body of the petroglyphs. Filled with light and featuring a walkway that allows visitors to observe the carvings closely, the structure preserves the images, preventing any further erosion or deterioration. To reach the site, visitors drive 55 kilometers outside Peterborough, turn off Northeys Bay Road, then proceed about 11 kilometers from Highway 28.

The petroglyphs were first thoroughly recorded in 1967 and 1968 by Joan Vastokas of the University of Toronto and Ron Vastokas of Trent University in Peterborough. Their book, is considered by rock art scholars the most definitive study and interpretation to date.

The crevices at Peterborough rock-art site

According to the Learning Center aboriginal tour guides and teachers, while the glyphs are important they are not the primary spiritual significance that make this site sacred. The rock site itself is a sacred place, today a place of pilgrimage for pious Ojibwa people in the neighborhood. The deep crevices in the rock are believed to lead to the spirit world, as there is an underground trickle of water that runs beneath the rock which produces sounds interpreted by Aboriginal people as those of the Spirits speaking to them. From the crevices that section the surface of the site, over two dozen abraders (scrapers) and hammer stones were found. These implements were made from granite, comfortably fit the human hand and were used in making the glyphs. They stand out as brilliant white images against the rock matrix of crystalline limestone, known as “white marble.”

The inscribed area occurs in an oval 180 feet long by 100 feet wide, the largest single concentration of petroglyphs in Canada. In size, the glyphs range from about 15 centimeters to 1.5 meters and, in depth, they vary from a barely perceptible impression to a centimeter- deep groove. Archaeologists have filled in the figures with a non-destructive black wax crayon to better highlight them.

The petroglyphs were not made by a single artist, but are probably the result of many persons over the course of decades or even centuries. The northern end of the rock face appears to have been used first. As it was filled up with carvings, the artists made their additions toward the southern end. Later, as it too became over-crowded with glyphs, the carvers shifted back to the north. Archaeologists guess the petroglyphs were created between A.D. 900 and 1400 But rock art is usually impossible to date accurately for lack of any carbon material. They could be thousands of years older than the experts allow, if only because the extensive weathering of some of the glyphs implies more than 1,000 years of exposure. Indeed, the local Ojibway Indians knew nothing about the petroglyph rock, although they honor it today as an important sacred site. The late epigrapher Dr. Barry Fell claimed to read a wild story from the glyphs, which told of a Norse chieftain he called “Wodan-lithi,” who arrived in the area about 37 centuries ago.

There are some disturbing images among the mass of figures that suggest outside influences in the very deep past. The most notable examples are the exceptionally fine illustrations of ships. Interestingly, the Algonkian-speaking peoples who inhabited the region (the Ojibway, along with their relatives and ancestors, the Cree, the Mississauga, etc.) never produced anything more seaworthy than a birch-bark canoe or a dugout. Yet, the vessels depicted in the petroglyphs are large ships with banks of oars and figure-heads at bow and stern. Even the reluctant archaeologists admit that the portrayed craft “do not look like real Algonkian canoes.” They try to weasel out of any uncomfortable conclusions about pre-Columbian visitors from the Ancient World by speculating that the vessels are simply a shaman’s idea of mythical or magical canoes that travel the universe.

But a close look at the petroglyphs in question reveals too many details of an actual ship, such as the large steering oar at the stern, something unknown to the Algonkians, yet the necessary feature for a vessel 100 feet or more in length. The vertical lines rising from the glyph comprise a stylized representation of a bank of propelling oars. But the figure-heads of birds at the bow- and stern-posts are especially remarkable, because the same design may be seen in Etruscan repousse gold work of the ninth century B.C. The bird-headed ships were portrayed 200 years earlier, when Egyptian artists carved their images into the walls of Medinet Habu, Pharaoh Ramses- IIIs “Victory Temple,” at the Valley of the Kings, in the Upper Nile. These peculiar ships were manned by the “Sea Peoples,” a maritime nation of pirates with overtones of lost Atlantis.

The Sea People’s chief deity, appropriately enough, was Poseidon, the god of the sea, whose emblem was the trident. Curiously, a trident was inscribed on Canada’s petroglyph rock beside the image of the bird-headed ship. Whatever the real identity of the petroglyph ship, it was obviously incised by someone who actually saw such a vessel and commemorated it in art.

The site was chosen by some prehistoric geomancer, who read or intuited in the sacred landscape all the elements for a sacred center, where the focused energies of nature could interact with human beings for their enlightenment and empowerment. The presence of a subterranean stream, its rumbling perhaps interpreted as the voice of the Earth Mother, could have been among the determining factors for choosing the spot.

The surface of the petroglyph rock slopes gently towards the sunrise at 10 degrees, thereby allowing the images to glow with an eerie luminosity in early morning light. There is, of course, the “white marble” beauty of the stone itself, and its curious location in the transitional zone between the Great Lakes—St. Lawrence lowlands forest region and the arboreal forest of northern Ontario, as though the stone were poised between two dimensions. Members of the Ojibway Anishinabe Nation refer to the stone as the Kinomagewapkong, or “the rocks that teach.” They believe the wisdom that the petroglyphs contain may only be obtained by direct experience, through meditation and ritual.

Sources :

Atlantis Rising Magazine vol.44 : “Canada’s Undeciphered Rock Art” by Frank Joseph;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroglyphs_Provincial_Park

Pic Sources :
Atlantis Rising Magazine vol.44 page 32 & 64
06:25 | 0 komentar

Marfa Mystery Lights

The Marfa lights are a nighttime phenomenon seen several times a year near Marfa, Texas, since at least 1883. At that time, a settler named Robert Reed Ellison saw what he thought were Native American cooking fires some distance away, but he later could find no evidence of such fires in the area. In the years since, people who have gotten closer to the lights typically describe them as brightly glowing white, yellow, or orange orbs, though some say the orbs glow blue or green. In most reports, the orbs are about the size of a volleyball, float about 4 feet (1.2m) above the earth, and move along the ground either slowly or quickly. Another local resident, Hallie Stillwell, told of coming to Marfa in 1916 on business with some family members and was riding near town in a car when a family member pointed out the lights.

The group observed them. Stillwell said, "We were just visiting and talking, and all of the sudden we saw lights over on the Chinati Mountains. It couldn't be any kind of car lights. And we first thought probably it was a campfire of Indians or Mexicans, or ranchers. But it didn't act like a campfire at all, and the lights moving around and floating above the ground.”


In 1943 near Marfa's army air base. Witness Fritz Kahl stated, "There was no vehicular traffic at night, the lights were a phenomena. We saw something that was totally foreign to anything in and around the airbase.”

According to the people who claim to have seen the lights, they may appear at any time of night, typically south of U.S. Route 90 and east of U.S. Route 67, five to fifteen miles southeast of Marfa, at unpredictable directions and apparent distances. They can persist from a fraction of a second to several hours. There is evidently no connection between appearances of the Marfa lights and anything else besides nighttime hours. They appear in all seasons of the year and in any weather, seemingly uninfluenced by such factors. They sometimes have been observed during late dusk and early dawn, when the landscape is dimly illuminated. They are said to be viewable year round.

Sometimes they appear individually, but most of the time witnesses report seeing two or more orbs together, though when they move they might part company for a few moments. The phenomenon might last only for an instant or for an hour or more.

Various theories have been proposed to explain the Marfa lights. Some contend that they are due to some natural but as yet unknown phenomenon related to Earth’s atmosphere, temperature conditions, geology, magnetism, or energy fields. Others speculate that Marfa lights are somehow related to UFOs. Still others have suggested that witnesses are experiencing some sort of hallucination or optical illusion.

Sources :
The Greenhaven Encyclopedia of Paranormal Phenomena by Patricia D. Netzley;


Pic Source :
06:33 | 0 komentar

S.S. Jesmond

S.S. Jesmond is a ship associated with the controversial discovery of Atlantis in 1882. On March 1, the 1,465-ton steam schooner was on a routine transatlantic voyage bound from France to New Orleans with a cargo of dried fruit, when David Amory Robson, Captain of the S.S. Jesmond observed “the singular appearance of the sea” some 200 miles southwest of Madeira. Great billows of mud clouded the water, together with a vast carpet of dead fish numbering an estimated .5 million tons spread over 7,500 square miles. The following morning, the Jesmond, still on course, was confronted by an unknown island that gave every indication of having just risen from the sea. It was large, about 30 miles across from north to south, and mountainous, with a smoldering volcano.

At the same moment, a slight submarine volcanic eruption was reported by monitoring stations in the Azores and Canaries. It was noted that the ocean had become unusually muddy and that the vessel was passing through enourmous shoals of dead fish, as if some sudden disease or underwater explosion had killed them by the millions. One might speculate that these hordes of fish did not immediately rot, since they had been "pre-cooked" by the volcanic heat generated by the rising of the island from the ocean floor. Just before the encountering the fish banks, Captain Robson noticed smoke on the horizon which he presumed came from another ship.

Then Captain Robson led a small landing party to investigate the new island. Black basalt predominated, and a fine ooze, with millions of dead fish, seemed to cover everything. The place was utterly barren and cut by numerous fissures, from which steam rose constantly. By accident, one of the sailors found a flint arrowhead. Excited by this discovery, the men began randomly digging. Almost at once, they shoveled up many more arrowheads, together with a few
small knives.

Robson returned on March 3 with ship’s tools and 15 volunteers. Before nightfall, they unearthed the stone statue of a woman; it was a bas-relief sculpted into one side of an oblong rock and slightly larger than life-size, heavily encrusted with marine growth. Further inland, the men came upon two walls of unmortared stone. Nearby, they excavated a sword made of some unfamiliar yellow metal, followed by a number of spear-heads, axe-heads, and metal rings. Finally came pottery figures of birds and other animals, plus two large flat-bottom jars containing bone fragments and a virtually intact human skull. With weather deteriorating, Captain Robson brought the finds aboard his vessel, marked the island’s position (31° 25' N, 28° 40' W), then hoisted anchor. He arrived in New Orleans at noon, March 31.

The Jesmond’s encounter was described first in a front page story of a local periodical, then quickly syndicated to more than a dozen newspapers across the country. A reporter for the New Orleans’ Times-Picayune wrote that the artifacts, which he personally handled, did not impress him as fakes, and he wrote that the Captain offered to “show the collection to any gentleman who is interested.” On May 19, Robson returned to London—without his finds, the whereabouts of which have not been known since.

Lawrence D. Hill, whose investigation of the Jesmond incident is the most thorough, concluded that the sword and other metal objects were tumbaga, an alloy 80 percent gold and 20 percent copper, which is as much as saying it was orichalcum; this is a term Plato uses to define an alloy technique metalsmiths used in Atlantis, when they combined rich copper with gold.Robson, writes Hill, had the artifacts melted down and split the resultant gold with his crew. The ship’s log was discarded by the British Board of Trade in keeping with its policy of destroying such documents after seven years.

The episode was not a hoax, because the mysterious island was sighted at the same location by James Newdick, captain of another steamer, the Westbourne. Captain Newdick sailing from Marseilles to New York during the same period, reported on arrival in New York having sighted the island at 25º 30' N, 24º W. Moreover, as mentioned previously, an undersea seismic event was simultaneously recorded in the Azore and Canary Islands.

The miles of dead fish, fanning out from the area first reported by Robson, were also commented upon by a number of other ship captains and appeared in a variety of newpapers, including the "New York Times". One captain suggested that the kill could be explained by the wreck of a fishing vessel, however unlikely this explanation might be. Crew members of various vessels that passed through the floating fish identified them as tilefish, cod, red snapper, shad and many others. Some adventurous souls among the sailors sampled a number of the fish and suffered no ill effects. They stated that the fish were "hard and proved excellent food."

Since Captain Robson's brief viewing of allegedly Atlantean walls, recognizable features of buildings, walls and roads have been reported with increasing frequency from various parts of the Atlantic. They have often been observed by pilots, who have overflown them in their scheduled flights and have not had permission to depart from their flight plans to investigate further by circling, in order to photograph chance sightings that, in any case, may have been illusory.

During WWII, several pilots on military flights between Brazil and Senegal, formerly French West Africa, said they saw what looked like clusters of buildings or "cities" under the ocean surface, near the St. Peter and St. Paul Rocks (1º N, 30º West). Other pilots and observers flying the same route, have reported seeing what appeared to be underwater stone walls and ruins at approxmiately 6º N, 20º W, near the Sierra Leone Rise.

Sources :
The Atlantis Encyclopedia by Frank Joseph;
http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/milkyway/190/jesmond.htm;
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=17060.0

Pic Source :
Google Maps
04:59 | 0 komentar

The Spirits of the Victor Hotel

Constructed in 1894, the original Victor Hotel, was a wooden, dual-story building. However, when a devastating fire swept through Victor in August, 1899, the wooden building succumbed to the flames that spread quickly and destroyed the entire town in just five hours. Victor’s founders, the Woods brothers, rebuilt the hotel’s spacious accommodations, this time with brick and stone, in order to withstand the harsh Colorado elements. Since the Victor Hotel was the only structure in Victor, Colorado, with an elevator, during the cold months corpses were loaded into the lift and carried to the building’s fourth floor, which became a makeshift morgue. It is apparently many of these long-dead Victor residents that haunt the historic hotel today.

The Victor Hotel is a historic hotel in the mining town of Victor, Colorado in the United States. The first floor of the building was originally the Citizen’s Bank of Victor. It may be the only banking concern in the world where one of its depositors mined directly beneath the bank at five hundred feet from the surface. Over the years, the property has served as a bank, hub for business offices, restaurant, grocery store, and soda fountain.

After the Woods fell from power, A.E. Carlton bought the Bank Building, establishing his City Bank on the first floor. The second and third floors remained offices, but the fourth floor was converted unto a hospital, where operations, such as an emergency appendectomy, were performed as early as 1906.

During the winters, when the ground was frozen between October and June, it was impossible to dig graves for those that died in the quickly growing city. As an alternative, the bodies were taken up the elevator and stored on the fourth floor of the building until the ground thawed enough to bury them.

It’s no wonder then that headless, limbless apparitions are allegedly witnessed, to date, strolling the hallways of this ornate, Victorian era hotel. Though seemingly harmless, several people have witnessed the site of disembodied apparitions on the fourth floor. Reports include what look like both doctors and patients, sometimes without arms, legs, and even a heads, moving about this place that once acted as “holding cell” for the dead.

Apart from the spirits of doctors and mutilated patients on the fourth floor, there also appear to be otherworldly presences residing throughout the entire venue. The hotel’s Bird Cage elevator is said to operate of its own volition around 3 a.m. nightly, consistently stopping on the third floor. Though the elevator is regularly inspected and maintained, it often tends to activate itself going up and down the shaft when no one is near it.

The lift is supposedly haunted by “Eddie,” a turn of the century miner who resided in room 301 during the early 1900s. Apparently, Eddie fell to his death down the open elevator shaft in the small hours of the evening, more than a hundred years ago.

To this day, guests report reverberations of heavy, disembodied footsteps within room 301, along the third floor’s hallways, and near the antiquated elevator. Utensils levitating of their own accord have been reported by employees working in the Victor’s kitchen.

Sources :
Paranormal Underground Vol. 3 May 2010 : “The Haunted Victor Hotel” by Hugh Mungus;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Hotel;
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM7W3X_Victor_Hotel_Victor_CO

Pic Source :
Paranormal Underground Vol. 3 May 2010 : “The Haunted Victor Hotel” by Hugh Mungus page 30
05:34 | 0 komentar

Lost City of Botaderos Mountain

The ruins of a city said to be older than the Mayans have been discovered near Copan in Honduras. According to Mexican anthropologist Victor Heredia, the so-called City of Encounters has been located in the wilderness of Botaderos mountain about 120 miles north of the capital of Tegucigalpa. The region was inhabited by Tawhakas Indians, whose descendants still live in Honduras, although it is unknown which culture inhabited the site. Reuters reported that the ruins covers at least 12 acres at the point where two rivers meet. The city includes vestiges of three rectangular plazas, various mounds and small stone-encrusted pillars.

Eastern Honduras is also home to the Mayan ruins at Copan, part of a civilization that extended, according to conventional scholarship, from Mexico through Central America between A.D. 250 and 1000.

Mysterious Statue Near Copan

It appears to have been built in the pre-Classical or early Classical period between 300 B.C. and 300 A.D., said Heredia. "It's a pre-Hispanic city, a complex site. It has a well-defined architectural structure that implies the work of many people over a long period of time," he said.


The ultimate origin of Copan’s ruins remains a mystery. Frank Joseph reported recently from “The First Copan Congress” in Honduras, where prominent scholars convened to discuss the ruins, academic science has shown little interest in exploring the deeper implications of the highly sophisticated art and science revealed in the area. Here they see latter-day corroboration for the work of maverick scholars like James Churchward and Augustus LePlongeon. A century ago, the pair led the way in arguing that the civilizations of central and south America had originated in a drowned Pacific land called Lemuria. They have not been proved wrong yet.

Sources :
Atlantis Rising Magazine Vol.41 :”Ancient City Found Near Copan”;
http://www.freerepublic.com/tag/mayans/index

Pic Source :
Atlantis Rising Magazine Vol.41 :”Ancient City Found Near Copan” page 11
19:12 | 0 komentar

Flatwoods Monster

Reported in Flatwoods, Virginia, on the night of September 12, 1952, the Flatwoods Monster is said to have been an alien from another planet because the creature was first seen after an apparent UFO crash. Stories of the creature are an example of a purported close encounter of the third kind. A simple sighting of a UFO is called a close encounter of the first kind. A close encounter of the second kind is when a UFO physically affects the environment, such as causing a car’s engine to stall. However, what happens when UFOs land and aliens exit the craft? These cases are termed close encounters of the third kind. There have been literally thousands of reported UFO landings across the world. More than 2,000 of these cases involve physical trace evidence of the landing.

The Flatwoods Monster case is only one example. Many other equally shocking cases exist. What makes landing cases so interesting is that they make the usual Air Force explanations of misperception or hallucination much harder to accept.


The incident began when three boys spotted an odd sphere of light moving across the sky that appeared to landing behind a hill. When the weird glowing object stayed there, six of the children decided to get closer. They started the 15-minute hike to the landing spot. Along the way, two of the boys, Edison and Freddie May, stopped at their house and told their mother that they were going with their friends to see a landed flying saucer. Their mother, Kathleen May, was skeptical, abut also curious. She said, “You’re not going by yourself!” It was just getting dark, so she grabbed a flashlight and joined the boys. By now it was already dark. The group of six children and one adult crept towards the glowing object. As they approached, they could see that the object was sphere-shaped, and was pulsating with light.

The whole area around the craft was foggy. Whatever it was, it wasn’t normal. Suddenly, one of the children thought he saw something glowing in one of the trees just ahead of them. Kathleen May shined her flashlight up and everybody screamed. Floating in front of them was a 12-foot tall robotic-looking creature with glowing red eyes, a teardrop-shaped head, and a cylindrical body with antennae coming out of the sides. Says Freddie May, “It was big . . . it was scary.”


Nearby, hiding behind a tree, they saw a creature that was at least 6 feet (1.8m) tall and had a head that they later described as being shaped like a spade on a playing card. Within this head, they claimed, was a round window, from which two blue beams of light shot straight ahead. The creature did not appear to have any legs, and as it moved first slightly toward and then away from the witnesses, it seemed to slide along the ground. As it began to move, the witnesses fled. They immediately reported their experience to others, who said that the witness had appeared to be badly shaken by what they had seen.


After encountering the creature, several members of the September 12 group reported being overcome with similar symptoms which persisted for some time, which they attributed to having been exposed to the mist emitted by the creature. The symptoms included irritation of the nose and swelling of the throat. Lemon suffered from vomiting and convulsions throughout the night, and had difficulties with his throat for several weeks afterward. A doctor who treated several of the witnesses is reported to have described their symptoms as being similar to victims of mustard gas, though such symptoms are also commonly found in sufferers of hysteria, which can be brought on by exposure to a traumatic or shocking event.


One person who heard their story, newspaper reporter A. Lee Stewart Jr. of the local newspaper, the Braxton Democrat, later went to the crash site but saw nothing, although he did smell a foul odor. However, since it was too dark to see the landscape, the next morning he returned to the site, and at that time he saw marks on the ground that indicated a large object might have hit the ground and skidded to a stop. In his subsequent story on the event, Stewart dubbed the creature the Flatwoods Monster. Interestingly, both before and after the event, there were several UFO sightings in the area.


There are two entities associated with the Flatwoods Monster. The first was described as being a large, pulsating, red ball of light that hovered above or rested upon the ground. Ufologists believe that it may have been a powered craft that was piloted by the second entity. Various descriptions of the second entity exist. Most agree that it was at least 10 feet tall and that it had a red face which appeared to glow from within, and a green body.


Witnesses described the creature's head as having bulging, non-human eyes and as either being shaped like a heart/an Ace of Spades, or as having a large heart/Ace of Spades shaped cowling behind it. The creature's body was described as being man-shaped and clad in a dark pleated skirt; later described as being green. Some accounts record that the creature had no visible arms, while others describe it as having short, stubby arms; ending in long, claw-like fingers, which protruded from the front of its body.


Moreover, some forty years later, in the early 1990s, the mother, Kathleen May Horner, claimed that she had been visited by two men who tried to convince her that she had imagined what she saw. Around the same time, someone showed her a letter, supposedly from government officials, claiming that she and the boys had seen a spacecraft that was part of a lunar rocket experiment and that it had crashed due to “oil trouble.” Since it is highly unlikely that this was the case, some people have suggested that Horner was the victim of either a prank or an attempt to discredit her as a witness.


Sources :
Mysteries, Legends, and Unexplained Phenomena : “UFOs and Aliens” by Preston Dennett;

The Greenhaven Encyclopedia of Paranormal Phenomena by Patricia D. Netzley;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatwoods_monster

Pic Source :

Mysteries, Legends, and Unexplained Phenomena : “UFOs and Aliens” by Preston Dennett page 50
03:49 | 3 komentar

Recent Post

Recent Posts Widget

Chapters

Popular Posts