De Soto's Quest for Cibola

In 1538 Hernando de Soto burst into Florida with a cabal of six hundred and twenty men who called themselves the ‘Men of Fire.’ With a mandate from God and license from King Charles V of Spain to wage war on and convert the natives of America De Soto set off on his conquest in search of Cibola and hidden treasure. De Soto was a rich man from an aristocratic family. He hailed from the town of Jerez de los Caballeros in Extremadura, one of Spain’s provinces that produced many of the conquistadors, including Vasco Nunez de Balboa, Hernan Cortez, who was received as a god by the Aztecs, and Francisco Pizarro.

During Pizarro’s looting of modern day Peru, De Soto helped conquer the Inca people, becoming the lieutenant governor of Cuzco, the city of the gods, and an Inca religious “mecca” where gold was piled up in the temple. Like Eden, Cuzco means “navel of the Earth.” De Soto noted the puzzling Christian symbolism already present in Peru. He listened attentively to tales of ancient giants and the bearded white gods with Near Eastern sounding names like the Sun God Illa-Ra and the gold making hero god Kon or Con(‘serpent’) whose stories were familiar to the conquistadors from the Bible.

Despite torture, the Inca priests refused to disclose the hiding place of Cibola and the secret wisdom of the ancient gods. The Mexicans, however, located Cibola north of Mexico, somewhere in the Four Corners area where Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico meet. Before he left Peru, De Soto stood on the shores of the Atlantic and vowed to discover the lost secrets of Cibola. On his return visit he struck gold and went home to Spain an even wealthier man. He put his wealth to use building ships and assembling a cabal of gold raiders and seekers of Cibola who accompanied him to America.

Arkansas Instead of heading for the pueblo and the land of enchantment De Soto, in an apparent feat of career suicide, headed for Arkansas. Following ancient Indian trails from Florida, to Georgia, to Tennessee, de Soto and his cabal snaked along in a single file line into the pine and hardwood forests of the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas where they zigzagged in all directions, maniacally searching for Cibola.

De Soto knew there was gold in Arkansas because the Bible and the Indians told him so. He relentlessly questioned the natives who had inhabited the area since 9500 B.C., the time of resettling after the cataclysm of Atlantis. If he didn’t like their answers he killed and tortured them. Most gave him misleading information, perhaps explaining his zigzagging.

The Spaniard’s quest ended with his fever-wracked mortal coil wrapped in fur and floating along the Mississippi, the river he is credited with discovering. His soul never found the promised land of Cibola. He did, however, find blue stones, possibly turquoise, west of the Mississippi.

Source:
Atlantis Rising Vol. 41: “De Soto’s Quest for the Hall of Records” by William Henry

Pic Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De_Soto_by_Telfer_%26_Sartain.jpg
06:40 | 0 komentar

Lovelock Skull

A famous discovery of oversized human remains was first reported in 1911, when miners harvesting bat guano at Lovelock Cave (about 80 miles northeast of Reno, Nevada) discovered the skeleton of a large mummified human skeleton. The unusual thing about this particular find, besides its excessive height and the extraordinarily large human skulls, was the fact that the remains showed evidence of red hair and was unlike any Indian known to have lived in North America. As the workers continued mining past the four-foot level, they continued to discover mummies. A mining engineer and amateur archaeologist, John T. Reid, immediately reported the discovery to numerous colleges and institutions, including the University of Pennsylvania and the Smithsonian Institution. He offered them the opportunity to examine the artifacts as they were being removed from the screens of the mining equipment.

A written report by James H. Hart, the first of two miners to excavate the cave in the fall of 1911, recalls that in the north-central part of the cave, about four feet deep, "was a striking looking body of a man “six feet six inches tall.” His body was mummified and his hair distinctly red." Unfortunately, it was over a year before the University of California sent a “non-professional observer,” by which time the miners had all but disposed of nearly all the bones and other related artifacts.


These remains served to substantiate the legends of local Piute Indians of Northwest Nevada. They, for generations, have spoke of giants existing in the earlier times. They called them the Si-Te-Cahs. In 1883 Sarah Winnemucca Hopkins, in her book "Life Among the Piutes", records these legends of the Piutes. Further, records of Red Haired Giants and Runic Mysteries are inscribed on rocks throughout this region. "Si-Te-Cah" literally means “tule-eaters” in the language of the Paiute Indians. Tule is a fibrous water plant. In order to escape harassment from the Paiutes, the Si-Te-Cahs were said to have lived on rafts made of tule on the lake.

Another “observer” who had come later from New York, had accompanied the first man in his observation of the site. What became especially puzzling was that these men went out of their way to avoid examination of the bones, and at one point, even insisted on the reburial of a complete skeleton that had just been unearthed. Instead, they focused their investigation primarily on pottery shards, fragments of basketry, and the like. It is no surprise that it took 17 years, in 1929, before their findings were published, and then, only in a small article from California. Understandably, Reid became disillusioned with the establishment, and began to document the discoveries as best he could. Many of the testimonials he collected, as well as his personal memoirs, and some baskets and beads from the area can be found in the Nevada State Historical Society library and museum at 1650 North Virginia Street, Reno, NV 89503.

After the refusal of “establishment science” to make a serious investigation into the matter, local Lovelock residents set up makeshift exhibits of the more impressive finds. As has been the case many times with priceless relics of our past, a devastating fire at one of these displays ended up destroying much of what remained.

There have been reports of other oversize skeletons turning up in the area. Skeletons were found in February and June of 1931 in the Humboldt lake bed near the cave. One of these was said to have been wrapped in an Egyptian-like gum-covered material and was about eight and a half feet tall, while another, stood nearly ten feet tall.

Another report in the 29 Sep 1939 Review Miner tells of a seven-foot-seven-inch skeleton that was found on the Friedman Ranch in the vicinity. As a result of the long series of battles that took place in the area, there may still be quite a few undiscovered finds that would be superficially buried, especially in the area of Carson sink, specifically around the south shore and near Pelican Island. Also, a few miles southwest of Lovelock along the railroad, near Perth, is a gravel pit that has yielded artifacts and mummies. Local Indians claim that artifacts have been found in caves near the Pyramid Lake Reservation about 55 miles to the west.

According to Reid, Indians had told him of petrified giants they had found lying in the open wilderness area to the south of Lovelock Cave. In fact, the local Piute Indians spoke of a race of red-headed giants and the bloody conflict that their forefathers had pursued against them. So ferocious was the Piute abomination toward these Si-Te-Cahs, or “lanky redheads,” that a collective crusade to wipe them out was organized by local tribes that were normally at odds with one another.

A book published in 1882, Life Among the Paiutes, written by Sarah Winnemucca details the strange legends of red-haired giants who had come to the area by boat, apparently when the area was an inland sea. Twenty nine years later the cache of oversized skeletons and artifacts in Lovelock Cave were discovered. As is usually the case, these “legends” were scoffed at by the “authorities” until hard evidence began to show up to support it, and even then nothing was properly investigated.

Whereas the skulls from Lovelock measured no more than 12-14 inches from base to crown, there are others of considerably larger size that have been reported. For instance, the well-known zoologist Ivan T. Sanderson, once received a letter from an engineer that was stationed on the island of Shemya in the isolated Aleutian chain in northwest Alaska during World War II. While bulldozing a group of hills for a future airstrip, the workmen found several sedimentary layers, under which were found the skeletal remains of what appeared to be extremely large humans. Most of the giant skulls measured about 22 to 24 inches from base to crown; whereas, a normal human skull only measures eight inches. Apparently, Sanderson later received an additional letter from another person in the unit, who confirmed the story. Both letters indicated that the Smithsonian Institution had taken possession of the remains, and of course, they were never heard about again.

Sources:
Mystery of America: Enigmatic Mysteries and Anomalous Artifacts "A Connection to the Ancient Past" by Tedd St. Rain;
http://www.nephilimskulls.com/Articles.asp?ID=147;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si-Te-Cah

Pic Source:
Mystery of America: Enigmatic Mysteries and Anomalous Artifacts "A Connection to the Ancient Past" by Tedd St. Rain page 11
03:39 | 0 komentar

Mystery of RI-002

On October 1, 1948, a cargo plane Douglas DC-3, registered as RI-002 took off from Yogyakarta. The plane was the backbone of Indonesia’s air force (AURI) which was fighting for survival against the Netherlands’ colonial army. There were five crew, one passenger, medical supplies and 20 kilograms of gold from Cikoto aboard that plane. The gold was intended to be used to purchase more aircraft to Indonesia. Moments after the plane took off from the town of Tanjung Karang at the southern tip of Sumatra, it disappeared. Nearly 30 years after the loss of RI-002, 7 April 1978, the plane wreckage was found by a farmer on Mount Punggur, Lampung. However the captain, Bobby Freeberg and the gold bars was not found in the plane.


Freeberg’s niece, Marsha Freeberg Bickham, believes that her uncle didn’t die in a plane crash but was instead captured and imprisoned by the Dutch, and later died in captivity. According to her, not long after RI-002 vanished, Kansas Senator Clyde Reed, a family friend from Parsons, told Freeberg’s parents that their son was alive and that he was trying to get him released from prison. But that was the last the Freeberg family would hear, as Senator Reed died of pneumonia in 1949.

Freeberg was well known to authorities as an American pilot working for the Indonesians, but Dutch archives show no record of his capture, explains William Tuchrello, the Library of Congress attaché in Jakarta.

In the early morning, 30 September 1948, Bobby Freeberg the pilot of RI-002 accompanied with co-pilot Bambang Saptoadji and assisted by Santoso as a reserved co pilot, Sumadi served as a technical expert and Suryatman as a radio operator. The plane took off successfully from the Maguwo air base, Yogyakarta. From Maguwo, the plane was flying into Gorda air base and Tanjung Karang air base, and then the next destination was Bukittinggi.

There is rumors that so far has not been revealed. According to the news, the RI-002 aircraft purchased by using personal savings of Bobby Freeberg. For the record, in the aftermath of the Pacific War, many of the aircraft used (war surplus) sold freely to the public. Surplus war planes can be purchased with or without a pilot's. AURI rumored to charter a plane piloted by Bobby air to break through the blockade by the Dutch military.

The remains of all RI-002 flight crew had been buried as a hero in the Heroes Cemetery in Tanjung Karang on June 29, 1978, to coincide with the Air Force Bhakti.

Until now, the disappearance of Bobby Freeberg still unsolved. Hopefully, one day, the mystery of the missing gold bars weighing 20 kg and Bobby Freeberg, as the captain of RI-002 can be revealed. About three years ago, 7 to 16 May 2009, Tamalia Alisjahbana, as Indonesian curator and director of the Institute of National Archives opened an exhibition in order to commemorate the heroic services of Robert “Bobby” Earl Freeberg and heroic story of RI-002 aircraft and the crew.

Sources:
http://www.wartakota.co.id/read/news/4046;
http://kolomkita.detik.com/baca/artikel/33/2588/mengenang_kepahlawanan_robert_bobby_earl_freeberg;
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/An-American-Who-Died-Fighting-for-Indonesias-Freedom.html

Pic Source:
http://kolomkita.detik.com/upload/dakota%20RI-002.jpg
06:20 | 0 komentar

Newgrange

In the verdant green Boyne Valley are three huge earth mounds, the most impressive is called Newgrange. The two other nearby mounds are named Knowth and Dowth, and all three are said by dowsers to intersect at key “telluric energy” points, as well as being situated in perfect alignment with seasonal points of solar movements. Newgrange and the other megaliths in the valley were created some 5,000 years ago by a puzzling group of kinsmen known as the Beaker People, who built in the Boyne Valley and nowhere else in Ireland. To add further mystery, the Beaker People also constructed monuments on the Mediterranean islands of Malta and Gozo. No direct traces of these people have been found anywhere else in the world.

The complex of Newgrange was originally built between c. 3100 and 2900 BC, meaning that it is approximately 5,000 years old. According to carbon-14 dates, it is more than five hundred years older than the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt, and predates Stonehenge by about a thousand years, as well as predating the Mycenaean culture of ancient Greece. Geological analysis indicates that much of building materials used to construct Newgrange were littoral blocks collected from the rocky beach at Clogherhead,Co Louth, approx. 20 km to the north-east. The blocks were possibly transported, to the Newgrange site by sea and up the River Boyne, by securing them to the underside of boats at low tide; four slabs of brown carboniferous sandstone are from further afield, the rest of the 547 slabs used in the construction of the monument are greywacke of the Clogherhead formation, a feldspar rich sedimentary rock.

Giant boulders with spiral motif at the entrance of Newgrange

Conventional archaeologists regard the mounds in Boyne Valley as part of a prehistoric cemetery, largely because charred human remains were found deep inside their chambered passageways. The Boyne Valley passage graves are fine examples of megalithic culture construction, but Newgrange is more than just a burial tomb. On the days around December 21st each winter solstice, the entrance passage is in exact alignment with the rising sun, illuminating a triple spiral relief sculpture in the farthest recess of the chamber. The construction of Newgrange was once surrounded by 38 enormous pillars, but only 12 survive. The site was built to mark the turning point in the sun’s cycle.

Surrounding the exterior of the Newgrange mound are images of spirals, chevrons and other symbolic forms carved on the huge stones. There are a total of 97 curbstones lying on their sides around the mound, and the carved patterns also appear inside the passage. The carvings are believed to be recordings of astronomical and cosmological observations. The internal “beehive” chamber has a funnel-shaped roof and is externally connected by a long passageway. Whatever rituals or activities the Beaker People may have performed in this internal chamber remain a mystery. The mound covering the internal passage is more than 40 feet (12 m) in height and covers an acre (.4 hectare) of ground. The egg-shaped mound is called a tumulus, rising above the flat meadow and surrounded by a stone curbing. Over 20,000 cantaloupe-size stones were brought in from 75 miles (120 km) away to create the bulk of the tumulus. The entrance to Newgrange is marked by the elaborately carved Threshold Stone featuring carved spirals framed by concentric circles and diamond shapes.

Sources:
Sacred Places Around The World: "108 Destinations" by Brad Olsen;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newgrange

Pic Source:
Sacred Places Around The World: "108 Destinations" by Brad Olsen page 244
07:03 | 0 komentar

Recent Post

Recent Posts Widget

Chapters

Popular Posts