Underwater Pyramid In Azores

Written By Tripzibit on Sep 19, 2014 | 19:07

On September 2013, a huge underwater pyramid discovered by Portuguese amateur sailor Diocletian Silva at a depth of 40 meters off the coast of Terciera near Portugal in the Azores archipelago. Its base measures 8,000 sq m - bigger than a football field - and Silva believes it was man-made. “The pyramid is perfectly shaped and apparently oriented by the cardinal points,” Silva told Di├írio Insular, the local newspaper.

The pyramid was found in an area of the mid-Atlantic that has been underwater for about 20,000 years. Considering this is around the time of the last ice age where glaciation was melting from its peak 2000 years prior, whatever civilization, human or not, that was around before the ice age, could be responsible for building the pyramid. The Azorean archipelago was discovered uninhabited by the Portuguese around 1427. 



Image collected by Silva using GPS Technology

One year earlier, archeologists from the Portuguese Association of Archaeological Research found evidence of other rock structures in the area that they believe supports the belief that humans arrived in the Azores thousands of years before the Portuguese.


The structures may have been built according to a plan because they’re aligned with the summer solstices.

Sources:
http://wearechange.org/huge-underwater-pyramid-discovered-near-portugal-navy-investigating/;

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/535271-huge-underwater-pyramid-discovered-near-portugal-and-the-navy-is-investigating-reports-going-viral/;

http://portuguese-american-journal.com/terceira-subaquatic-pyramidal-shaped-structure-found-azores/;

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/atlantis-discovered-pyramid-aozres-islands-sunken-509298

Pic Source:
http://portuguese-american-journal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/pyramid.jpg
19:07 | 0 komentar

Mystery of The Witch of Scrapfaggot Green

Written By Tripzibit on Sep 16, 2014 | 18:31

Great Leighs in Essex has acquired a reputation as a haunted village. This is due to ghost stories told about the St Anne's Castle, a local pub, and the Witch of Scrapfaggot Green, whose spirit was alleged to have terrorised the area during World War II. According to articles in the Sunday Pictorial of 8 and 15 October 1944, the village of Great Leighs (Essex) was being plagued by nocturnal accidents to livestock, tools scattered, bells ringing, etc. They said it was because bulldozers widening a lane to a military base had pushed aside a boulder at a crossroads called Scrapfaggot Green - a boulder covering the remains of a witch, together with the fire that burnt her.

The St Anne’s Castle stands prominently on Main Road, the village’s principal street, en route from Chelmsford to Braintree. Philip Morant’s History of Essex (1768) says the building was once a mediaeval hermitage and became an alehouse in the Elizabethan era.

The name 'Scrapfaggot' invites puns, there are historical records of a witchcraft case at nearby Boreham, and there seems to have been a 'Witch Stone' around in the 1930s (even though not at the crossroads). Since the 1980s, a stone outside a pub in Great Leighs is claimed to be the original, supposedly brought there in 1945.



St. Anne's Castle
(photo credit: Robert Halliday from Fortean Times Magazine vol.303)

In October 1944, the Sunday Pictorial, a sister newspaper to the Daily Mirror, ran an article with the headline “The witch walks at Scrapfaggot Green”. Arthur Sykes, who was now an ARP Warden, said: “Every day I hear of new mischief”. Three geese had disappeared from a pen in his back garden. A haystack had collapsed. Alfred Quilter, a local shepherd, found his sheep had moved from their field to another paddock, yet the surrounding hedges and fences were all undamaged. Charlie Dickson, a builder, said heavy scaffolding poles were “scattered in his yard like matchsticks.”The clock on the church tower had been running two hours late, and striking at midnight, despite being fitted with devices to prevent it chiming at
night.
The Sunday Pictorial newspaper ran a story on the Witch of Scrapfaggot Green
(October 1944)

Also there were strange happenings at the Dog and Gun, a pub on the Boreham Road, 2.5 miles (4km) south of the St Anne’s Castle. Paint pots and brushes vanished from outside and were found neatly lined up under a bed in an attic. When some regulars were leaving one night, they nearly fell over a boulder that had seemingly materialised less than five feet (1.5m) from the door of the pub.

Arthur Sykes said that 200 years previously a witch had been burnt at the stake at a crossroads near the Dog and Gun and her remains buried beneath a stone. Ever since, the spot had been known as Scrapfaggot Green.

When Boreham airbase was built, the stone had been moved, thus releasing the witch’s spirit. The villagers declare that their misfortunes dated from the day when American bulldozers widened the road at Scrapfaggot Green, the centre of the village, thus displacing a two-ton stone that marked the remains of a 17th-century witch who had been buried (with a stake through her chest) at the crossroads there. Now, she was terrorising the area, even moving her stone to the Dog and Gun! The News Chronicle reported that some villagers had mounted night-time patrols to catch the culprit.

The US magazine 'Time' reported the story, saying that the morning after the stone was replaced it had been moved again, with a message on it saying ‘non in sum’, Latin for ‘not here’ or ‘nobody home’.Two weeks later, the Evening News said that flowers had been placed on the stone.

Meanwhile the Sunday Pictorial contacted the celebrated psychic researcher Harry Price, whose best-known investigation at Borley Rectory had resulted in his 1940 book "The Most Haunted House in England". Price, Arthur Sykes and the Sunday Pictorial reporters decided to lay the witch’s spirit to rest by returning the stone from the Dog and Gun to her grave at Scrapfaggot Green. However, before they could do so, another farmer found rabbits in his chicken coop.

Then Price told the villagers that if they believed the witch to be responsible for their troubles, the logical thing to do was to restore her tombstone to its original site. This they did, ceremonially, at midnight on October 11-12, 1944, placing the stone east and west in the traditional manner. The phenomena ceased.


Sources:
A Dictionary of English Folklore by Jacqueline Simpson, Stephen Roud;
Fortean Times Magazine Vol. 303, July 2013: "The Witch of Scrapfaggot Green" by Robert Halliday

Pic Source:
Fortean Times Magazine Vol. 303, July 2013: "The Witch of Scrapfaggot Green" by Robert Halliday page 30 & 32
18:31 | 0 komentar

Mngwa The Great Gray Ghost

Written By Tripzibit on Sep 12, 2014 | 17:13

The Mngwa ("the strange one") is the "great gray ghost" of East Africa. Natives of the former Tanganyika (now Tanzania) insist that the mngwa is not simba (the lion). They have known of the Mngwa for hundreds of years, describing the animal as an extremely aggressive, gigantic, with the size of a donkey and gray stripes like a tabby cat. The creature has small ears, thick tail and nocturnal. Has been heard to purr. Known to have raided villages in order to kill adults and carry off children. Most sightings occurred on the Tanzania coast near Lindi and Mchinga.


English contact with the animal began, in earnest, in the 1900s. In 1922, William Hichens was magistrate of Lindi, Tanzania, when several constables were killed or mangled by a huge cat with gray fur. Another outbreak of maulings took place at Mchinga in the 1930s. During the 1930s and 1940s, the Mngwa was commonly known by the name Nunda, but because of the books of Gardner Soule (The Mystery Monsters and The Maybe Monsters) and Bernard Heuvelmans, Mngwa is the appellation now more frequently employed. An influential, openminded discussion of this cryptid appeared in the then-world-famous British scientific journal Discovery in 1938.

The Mngwa, a striped big cat of East Africa. (William M. Rebsamen)
In Frank W. Lane's 1954 issue of Nature Parade, Lane writes of his interview with Patrick Bowen, a hunter, who tracked a Mngwa. Bowen remarked that the animal's tracks were like those of the leopard but much larger. The fur was brindled but visibly different from a leopard's. Lane, a cryptozoologist before the label even existed, speculated that nineteenth-century reports of attacks by the South African chimiset, usually associated with the Nandi Bear, might more plausibly be linked to the Mngwa. Bernard Heuvelmans theorizes that the Mngwa may be an abnormally colored specimen of some known species or that it may be a larger subspecies of the golden cat (Profelis aurata).

According to Eberhart, several possible explanations about the creature as follows:
  • A surviving species of one of several large African fossil cats from the Pleistocene.
  • An unknown, giant subspecies of the African golden cat (Felis aurata), which has a wide variety of coloration, from golden to dark gray, and is reputed to be highly aggressive when cornered. It occasionally raids villages for poultry.

Source:
Cryptozoology A to Z: "The Encyclopedia of Loch Monsters, Sasquatch, Chupacabras, and Other Authentic Mysteries of Nature by Loren Coleman & Jerome Clark;

Mysterious Creatures: "A Guide to Cryptozoology" by George M. Eberhart;


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mngwa

Pic Source:
Mysterious Creatures: "A Guide to Cryptozoology" by George M. Eberhart page 33
17:13 | 0 komentar

Silver Cliff Ghost Lights

Written By Tripzibit on Sep 9, 2014 | 07:57

In the little town of Silver Cliff, found in the Wet Mountain Valley of Colorado, ghost lights have been seen in the local cemetery for more than a century. According to Wikipedia, the lights, which according to reports look like blue lantern lights or white spheres, are said to float through the cemetery and bounce on the headstones. The lights were featured in the August 1969 National Geographic Magazine, Volume 136, No. 2. The lights can never be approached in order to gain a closer look. As soon as anyone comes too near, the lights disappear, only to pop up again in another section of the cemetery.

Silver Cliff Cemetery is split into two sections of cemeteries, one for the Catholics, and one for the Protestants. The prior being Silver Cliff Cemetery and the later is called Cross of the Assumption. Cross of the Assumption has a large white cross in it that seems to glow in the bright moonlight. Each are known for being host to glowing balls of light that meander from cemetery to cemetery and wander among the gravestones.
The story of the ghost lights of Silver Cliff first reached public attention in the spring of 1956, when an article on the mystery appeared in the Wet Mountain Tribune,  when some observers of the spook lights noted that the bluish colored illuminations could not be seen as clearly on the sandstone markers, many spectators became convinced that the lights were only a reflection of houselights in the valley.
Silver Cliff Cemetery
Local folklore has it that the lights were first seen by a group of miners passing by the cemetery in 1880. When the miners saw the flickering blue lights over the gravestones, they left the vicinity in a hurry. Since then, the lights have been observed by generations of residents of Custer County. The cemetery was the final resting place for many miners who lost their lives digging for precious ores in local caverns.

According to legend, the flickering lights of the graveyard are the ever-glowing searchlights found atop the miners’ caps; the lights guide the spirits of the long-passed miners, still searching for the silver they never found.

In 1880 Silver Cliff boasted a population of 5,087; by the early twenty first century it had only a few hundred inhabitants and had almost become a ghost town. On August 20, 1967, the New York Times carried a story on the phenomena. In the article, county judge August Menzel gives the account of the night inhabitants of both Silver Cliff and nearby Westcliff turned off all of their lights, including street lights, “but the graveyard lights still danced.” Other rationalists have believed the Silver Cliff ghost lights to be caused by the reflections of stars. Yet the lights are just as clear on starless, moonless nights. Some have tried to prove that the lights are caused by phosphorescent ore, or glowing wood, but the darker the night, the brighter the lights. It has also been suggested that radioactive ores cause the flickering lights. Geiger counters have been employed to cover the entire area, but no radioactivity has been discovered.

Sources:
Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, and Haunted Places by Brad Steiger;
http://www.examiner.com/article/haunted-colorado-silver-cliff-cemetery-s-legend-of-the-ghost-lights-investigated;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Cliff_Cemetery

Pic Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cemetery-SilverCliffCO.jpg
07:57 | 0 komentar

Chapters

Popular Posts